Saturday, February 12, 2011

Snake in the hills



A member of Elvina found this stone arrangement some time ago and recently found out you can see it on Google Earth quite clearly , so here is the Woy Woy Tip snake from space.
It is noted on a 2006 survey of the area as Aboriginal and I have no doubts that it is as there are stone arrangements on top of a lot of the ridges in this area.
Situated 800 metres east of the current land fill depot at South Woy Woy and at over 15 metres long , it's quite impressive.
It bugs me that people spend a lot of time pondering the Gosford Glyphs when great mysteries like this are in abundance.

 33°30'33.36"S  - 151°17'4.08"E

4 comments:

  1. Hi steve,
    I have come apon that area in my walks, funny I remember seeing a few rock piles and a few fireplaces too.
    Personally my suspicions are directed at the group who have a shed down on dylans farm, some sort of hiking club ?
    I have found some very interesting holes carved it seems into the creek sandstone, shaped like an egg and about 1 metre in depth, nearby were several sharpening grooves so I imagine the hole I saw may be connected.

    Must find out if the aboriginal people used these holes for something ? storage ? initiation?

    like your blog, must make one myself one day ?

    bye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there
    Thanks for your comments , so far no one has been able say exactly who done this snake , I know of the group who have a shed at Dylans ( Bewowra bushwalkers I think ) but this was back in the early 1900's , are they still using this site today ?
    I think the holes you mention may be natural but I will send your comments to the boffins at Elvina.org to get some further info , similar waterholes have been discussed before and one large one was found to be full of small stones , possibly they were thrown into it hot from a fire to be used as a nice bush hotub or for cooking purposes
    Yes make that blog , people are interested in the local area and it sounds like you may have a lot to share !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve,
    Just came across this post and noticed the picture is down. Any chance of getting a google maps image up in it's place? I'm off out that way and may pop by next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All sorted Nick , Happy hiking ! get some pics !

    ReplyDelete

Your comment may be used as site content , think before you post :)